Sunday, April 13, 2008

Our Crazy Sunday

Mike and I had a Sunday to remember today. We were getting ready for our 9:00 a.m. church meetings when Mike mentioned he had to give a talk today. I asked him if he was ready for it and he said something to the affect of, "I'll wing it." I am the complete opposite. I like to map out my talk, figure out how I'm going to word things and type everything up in an organized document. If I don't do this process, I'm a complete mess!

As we were driving, I was mentioning how weird it was for only Mike to have to give a talk. Usually, the Bishop has a new couple both prepare talks, but I quickly shrugged it off thinking the Bishop wanted to have me speak another Sunday. Then we got to church...

Mike picked up a program and just stared at me until I saw the words "Jessica Pless" as the second speaker. I was stunned. The Bishop never talked to me about a talk and I didn't even know what to speak about. So, my job was to introduce Mike and myself by telling people how we met and then share my feelings about the Atonement. I grabbed a piece of paper, scribbled some thoughts and feelings down and just prayed the entire time that everyone would suddenly fall asleep magically during my "talk". Luckily everything turned out fine and then it was Mike's turn to talk. He opened by telling people, "When the Bishop called to ask me to speak, I zoned out everything else he told me...so my wife found out she was speaking today about 5 minutes before she gave her talk." SO THE TRUTH CAME OUT!! But it was a good learning lesson and it taught me how to rely on the Spirit and say the important truths I know. And in return as an apology, Mike is doing the cooking and cleaning this week. :) Amen to that!!

2 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

I would have DIED!!!!! I am the same as you - I plan for a week or 2 ahead of time and type everything out, practice in front of the mirror, etc. I swear I've had nightmares of what happened to you! Great job for being so flexible and going through with it! At least you guys weren't late for church!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That totally sounds like Mike. I'm happy that everything turned out okay though!