Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Friend


I've been debating posting about this subject, but then I thought..."this is why I have a blog, so might as well."

Most (if not all) women have some issue with their body and I'm no exception. I've been guilty of looking in the mirror and cursing my thighs, my tummy, my hips, etc. and just hating the fact that I got stuck with this abnormal body.

(or if you are in my family, what we like to call Abby Normal thanks to Young Frankenstein movie)

I remember during one of my internships while working in Hollywood at a PR firm, all these women would starve themselves, smoke and take loads of diet pills to achieve their size 2 status and then in walks me who is not a size 2. I remember these women appalled that I was eating a salad for lunch and not just content with a cube of cheese and a diet shake. After a few months working there, my self-image suffered even more and I started following suit by not eating and neglecting my body who had done nothing wrong. Thank goodness I had another internship at NBC to offset such a gloomy environment at the PR firm!

Well, I've worked through some issues and have learned to love myself but it wasn't until I became pregnant that I started to respect my body. Even though I can't see my feet anymore (and those said feet are probably swollen) I am so proud of the journey this body has taken me on and how it instinctively protects such a blessing and miracle that is growing. I've changed my thoughts from "ugh, I hate my thighs" to "I'm so proud of what my body is doing, I don't care if there are marks or scars."

So, my little life lesson this week has been to give my body a break, let it do it's thing and realize what an amazing job it has done and will do soon and to cherish it. I loved the quote pictured above (which for the record is not my body...I do not have a tattoo.) and it stated exactly what I have been feeling this week.

Yay for my body! Flaws and all, I'm so proud of it.

1 comment:

Mackenzi Parkinson said...

It's so amazing that our bodies can create and carry little babies! You have a beautiful body Jess!